Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dr. Seuss! {freebies}

Hi Everyone!  I wasn't planning on posting today...yet... there's NO Grey's and NO Glee 
----> :( sad face.   Seriously... I live for Thursdays and neither show was on tonight.

So here I am ready to share with you..
and that makes me ---->  :-)

Dr. Seuss' birthday is Saturday!  Did you know he would have been 109 this year! :)  I LOVE to spend the week reading many of his classics and having my students regain a love for his books (they forget as BIG second graders how fun they are to read!).

Here's a fun fact I learned...
Dr. Seuss's real name is Theodor Geisel.  He

 put "Dr." with Seuss (his middle name and his

 mother's maiden name) to create his pen

 name.  He wrote some beginning reader 

books and signed his name Theo. Lesieg

Which is actually Geisel backwards.  These

 books were the some of the only books not

 illustrated by him.  Interesting right?? :)

I leave out a bunch of his books for the kids to enjoy all week.  They write the books they read on a "cat in the hat" hat and write a sentence about the book.  

We will be making this ADORABLE art found on Pinterest:
Pinned Image

I also found this super fun one too...
Pinned Image


I have two freebies for you today... first is a fun math word problem sheet- there are two versions as one is much more difficult than the other.  I am not the original creator of this I just spruced it up a bit.
click above to get word problems


The other is a letter we send home at the end of our week.  We have the kids "dress up" in a fun way to represent one of Dr. Seuss' books like- silly socks for "Fox in Socks" or wacky clothes for "Wacky Wednesday."  To get the letter click below:


What do you do for his big day??
Have a GREAT FRIDAY!!
We will be in meetings all day learning about Math Common Core.  Our district will be rolling out Math this Fall and then ELA the next year.  If I learning anything worth sharing tomorrow I will pass it on to you! :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the ideas and freebies Tori. I'm going to do Dr. Seuss stuff next week.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute post!!!! I wish I could teach Dr. Seuss in my 11th grade American Literature class! LOL

    I'm your newest follower!

    Brittany
    http://thesuperheroteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to see many posts in future, as i got the useful information from this post particularly. Thanks for sharing this post. how do you paraphrase

    ReplyDelete